Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rebel Angels

The 2nd book in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, Rebel Angels, was definitely just as good as the 1st. I read it in one sitting today and I'm eager to pick up the final book in the series (hopefully tomorrow) so I can find out what happens next!

As not to spoil what happens in A Great and Terrible Beauty, I won't comment too much on the plot of Rebel Angels. The book starts out at Spence (the boarding school) but it's mostly set in London when the girls are sent home for the Christmas break. Gemma continues to go into the magical world of the realms, but this time she's on a mission that could change everything.

Since it's not entirely set at the school, there are some great historical details about Victorian London, and the girls are invited to a few balls, operas and whatnot over the course of the holiday season. There is also a lot more detail about Gemma's family, including her father's affliction. You also find out a shocking secret about one of the girls, which I definitely did not see coming. It definitely explains a lot about why this character behaves as she does.

All in all, I really loved Rebel Angels and enjoyed seeing the character progression from book to book. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what else Libba Bray comes up with in the future.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to borrow these books you speak of. I live like 1/2 a second from you, we should probably see each other more than at major holidays and events.

    I have a stack of books for you too.

    ReplyDelete