Monday, January 5, 2009

Mademoiselle Boleyn


I borrowed this book from my friend Nicole, who also shares my love of historical fiction, and totally loooved it.

Mademoiselle Boleyn is particularly interesting because it's set in France and covers the time that Anne is sent to live in the French court as a young girl along with her sister, Mary.

For anyone who enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl (also highly recommended) it's fascinating reading. You do end up sympathizing with Anne and by the end I was pretty sad knowing what eventually happens to her.

The details about the French court are definitely a little shocking (and very risque!! i mean, seriously RAUNCHY) which of course makes the book all the more interesting, haha. Besides the raunchiness, the author paints a really vivid scene of court life in Paris, I was totally absorbed in the elaborate balls and gowns and the parties. It would be pretty cool to go back to that time period.

I'm definitely going to check out some more by Robin Maxwell! I was on her Web site and found a lot of other interesting books.... I know I am going to want to get the Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment