Thursday, June 24, 2010

New directions

Since I started writing for Examiner.com about women's fiction, I haven't really had a reason to post reviews on this blog anymore. However, I thought I would turn this into a blog about my writing, since I'm now moving full steam ahead with finishing my novel.

I lost my job earlier this month, and I have to say I'm not so sad about it. Working for a PR agency was not my cup of tea, and after five years in the industry I realized that it wasn't getting any better. I had started looking for a new job and weighing my options months before I was laid off, so at least this has given me an excuse to focus on something that I love. I never would have left my job without having something else lined up ... and now I feel like I have an amazing opportunity to be able to finish my novel while I look for my next position.

It's exciting and scary at the same time ... the transition from a 9-5 job being around coworkers and clients and deadlines to being your own boss with no one to make you do anything is pretty extreme. Deadline-wise I've been setting word count goals for myself each day and have been doing really well in meeting them so far ... as long as I keep distractions to a minimum.

Anyway, so far, so good. For the first time in years, I don't wake up dreading each day ... and that in itself is pretty damn awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment