Wednesday, June 30, 2010

the long and short of it

I finished my first short story today. I don't think I've written a short story since I was a kid and strangely obsessed with writing about teenagers from California. (What? You haven't read "Miss Real Cool?")

I keep hearing about the importance of clips, so I want to start sending out some short stories in hopes of getting published or winning some writing contests. Not having any published works to put in my query letter is somewhat terrifying. Sure I have some online clips, but I feel like those aren't looked at as seriously.

Now comes the part that I dread: feedback. The thought of people reading and critiquing my writing makes me feel a little sick. What if my friends and family think the story sucks? Will they tell me it's good anyway?

Makes this an interesting career choice, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment