Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Word count


I hit 30,000 words on Friday - woo hoo! My celebration was short though, because when I thought about it I realized that I'm not even half-way done. Still, I've come a long way since the beginning of June when I only had 14,000 words.

I just finished Stephen King's "On Writing" and it made me feel a lot better that he writes 2,000 words a day, but suggests the beginning novelist to aim for 1,000. That's exactly where I am (I aim for 1,000 each day, sometimes I write a little more, and sometimes a little less).

I guess sometimes you just need an "authority figure" to confirm that what you're doing is right!

Yesterday wasn't very productive and I was feeling down on myself because I only managed about 500 words. Between an eye doctor appointment and applying for jobs, I just couldn't concentrate on writing. Today I'm feeling a lot better and I've made decent progress this a.m. polishing a short story that I want to submit for a contest. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment